Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken

Okay, so the first word that caught my attention was crockpot.
I have a crockpot and use it frequently. With three children ages 5 and under, kindergarten and preschool schedules to navigate, piano lessons to teach and volunteering with my church besides, I am always looking for something I can do quickly and leave alone all day.


The words "sweet" "hawaiian" and "chicken" all combined to delicious temptation.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/562356_4398507975515_139846884_n.jpg

The ingredient list was simple, small, and affordable! Pineapple juice, "light" soy sauce, "light" brown sugar and chicken. A good friend suggested fresh ginger. Excellent suggestion! She bakes the most delicious goods. Here's her page: Bonnie Nork's Custom Baked Goods
Now the slow-cooking. I stepped away and let the sauces sink into my savory chicken on low for 6 hours. (The recipe calls for 6-8 hours on low, but my crockpot waxes hot so 6 hours was more than sufficient)

All cooked, the meat didn't really look like it had been grilled (and the perfect photo did, of course).

So, I displayed the food on rice, which was how we served it up.

And the final verdict?
This dish is moist and juicy, the sweet balance was just right, but the savory kick it needed just wasn't there.

My husband is really the foodie in our house, and he was at a loss for words as to just what was missing.
I know what it was missing.
High-intensity sodium flavor.
If you eat "authentic" Hawaiian, which we have wonderfully experienced here in our town, you'll know the difference. A local restaurant called North Shore Hawaiian Plate Lunch serves some of the best teryaki chicken I've eaten. (Which I think is what the original recipe attempted)

So, for a "healthy alternative" or low-sodium teryaki chicken recipe, this one is edible.
Not a waste of ingredients, but it just seemed bland.



No comments:

Post a Comment