Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

We like to eat healthy in our house. I also have a sweet tooth. Any time I see a recipe for a healthier version of a cookie, I'm going to at least read the ingredients.

I enjoy baking, cooking, doing it from scratch, making things myself, inspiring others to create.


When I first heard of a cauliflower pizza crust, I didn't think much of it. I saved the recipe, but never tried it.
Go figure when it circulated on Facebook among my friends with a pinned photo of this amazing healthy pizza with no flour in the crust, that I would once again think it was worth a shot.
(http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/caulifower-crust-pizza-whole-580x773.jpg)

I do not have photos of this torturous fail, but I found plenty of other blogs from people who did not have success. First of all, I do not have a food processor. I do have a blender, so that's what I tried to use to puree the cauliflower. The biggest problem? The crusts just wouldn't hold together.
And my husband's initial reaction when they were baking? "What is that awful smell?!"

Baked cauliflower, to be blunt, smells like somebody just passed some terrible gas.
My recipe recommended baking in a tin pan and "flipping it" after an amount of time, which I followed carefully. I coated the pan so it wouldn't stick.
The eggs stuck.
The entire souffle or omelette that was posing as a crust simply fell apart when I tried to flip it.
I had spent 1 1/2 hours in the kitchen putting this all together and tweaking the second, third and fourth crusts when I finally went to the store to buy a pre-made pizza crust so my children would at least have dinner.
(and of course, there were none to be found, so I bought rolled up pie crusts and called it good)

Pizza made on a pie crust is palatable but not the texture you'd expect for pizza. Flaky crust never seemed a logical mix with tomato sauce and toppings, but when you have three children 5 and under, you get the first thing you can find!

My two cents? If you want pizza, eat pizza. If you want healthy cauliflower egg food, make yourself that tasty cauliflower omelette and skip the hassle of trying to get it crisp!

~Tammy


No comments:

Post a Comment