Thursday, June 13, 2013

Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

After two failed recipes, I found joy in my first Facebook-posted success.

It wasn't the title, but the gooey chocolate chips melting in this photo that first held my tastebuds and then my eyes.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/Texanerin/grain_free_chocolate_chip_cookie_dough_bites_2_watermarked.jpg
After seeing this photo, aren't you also drooling?
 
My tips on this recipe are: 
Number One, husk your chickpeas.
 
My experience with chickpeas in recipes is that they leave a bitter taste no matter how well you have rinsed and drained (and in this recipe, patted dry) those little balls of garbanzo.
It has prevented me from making my own hummus until now.
 
Number Two, if you are unable to use a food processor and are using a blender like I did, break this into about three parts as to save your motor from unnecessary wear and heat.
 
I purchased a store-brand 15oz can of chickpeas (also labeled garbanzo beans) and used the entire can once I had husked and repeatedly rinsed the peas. I used Adams Natural Peanut Butter (creamy-the kind you have to stir as the oil from the peanuts is an inch deep on top of your PB when you open the jar). We have local honey at our grocery store, so I added those three ingredients and mixed and blended, in three smaller batches, then mashed the baking powder into the large lump of dough.
 
The original poster of this recipe mentions that the dough isn't great by itself. 
True statement.
I am a guilty person when it comes to eating dough.
I actually prefer raw cookie dough to cookies most of the time.
 
That being said, these cookies were actually pretty good. They weren't as crisp as cookies with flour, but after 10 minutes on an air-bake cookie sheet at our "high altitude", there was a bit of crispness as I bit into my cookie(s).
 
Final Verdict?
Garbanzo beans mixed with peanut butter take away from the peanut flavor, so it's a reduced-peanut flavor, which really made for a nice, mild cookie with lots of chocolate chips.
I yielded 18 cookies from her original ingredients. 
~Tammy

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I got everything and I am making this tonight or tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah, I would love to hear how your cookies turned out!

      Delete