Sunday, October 12, 2014

"Homemade Creamer" or "3 ingredients vs 15 chemicals"

The photo above first appeared after a news story touted how terrible Starbucks and all their pumpkin spice ingredients were. (No real pumpkin)
I noted it, and moved on. Who has time to make their own creamer?

This week, I ran out of my creamer, and while at the store decided, hey! I'm going to try it!
I had been enjoying the Chocolate Caramel Hershey's Creamer by International Delight, but decided to purchase Torani Salted Caramel syrup instead.
Do I regularly purchase Sugar Free syrup? No, but the flavor variety was unappealing to me in the full-sugar versions today and Salted Caramel in my coffee is delightful.

I used a glass Pyrex 4 cup measuring cup to pour out my 2 cups of milk, followed by the entire can of sweetened condensed milk. I then added the 1/3 cup of Torani syrup and mixed thoroughly with a spatula.

I then poured the mixture carefully into my washed, empty International Delight container.

After heating up a cup of coffee, I added creamer and sampled it.
Success!
It's always nice when something actually turns out correctly, but it has not always happened for me.
Noting the price of sweetened condensed milk, actual milk, and Torani syrup, I would not say this is necessarily cheaper, but perhaps it would be over the course of all the batches?
I am just glad not to be consuming oil in order to make my coffee seem creamy.

"NON-DAIRY PRODUCT INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANE SUGAR, PALM OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), SODIUM CASEINATE* (A MILK DERIVATIVE), DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, POLYSORBATE 60, CARRAGEENAN, SALT. 
*SODIUM CASEINATE IS NOT A SOURCE OF LACTOSE."

Sweetened condensed milk has two ingredients: Milk, Sugar.
Milk has one ingredient: Milk
The syrup I bought has twelve ingredients. The first ingredient is water.
The non-sugar-free version has only eight, and two of them are water. The first ingredient is pure cane sugar, then water, then natural waters. (Why two waters?)

Without the torani syrup, I'm sure this would still be satisfying, but if you have to have a flavor, then this is the recipe.

It is still better to drink your coffee black. By far. It is better to have the sugared version when it comes down to ingredients.
You are definitely consuming more sugar than your body needs if you use sweetened creamers at all, but it's not my job to provide you nutritional guidance.
I am simply the recipe tester on Facebook. :)

~Tammy




No comments:

Post a Comment