Monday, July 28, 2014

Easy Egg Yolk Removal


Well, if you have noticed, it's been a while. :D

Quality, not quantity, I like to say. When there's a post worth reading, it's a post worth posting and here is something I saw on Facebook and tried for you.

My daughter turned 3 recently and chose pink cake with pink frosting. I ended up making strawberry cupcakes with strawberry cream cheese frosting. That is in a different post but it turned out fabulous!

On Facebook, there was a cheery photograph or perhaps a short video embedded in my news feed. (Anybody else slightly annoyed by the interruption of videos that start without your permission? At least they are muted.)
"Easy Egg Yolk Removal". Simply take an empty water bottle, place it over the yolk, and you'll suck up the yolk from the white!

I cracked open my three eggs and placed them into a bowl. I took an empty water bottle, squeezed it semi-flat, placed it over a yolk and voila! The egg white and yolk quickly sucked into the bottle.





Well, as soon as I tried to dump the white back into the bowl, the yolk broke!
Please learn from me and don't do this over your bowl of whites.
This reminds me of the time I tried to measure the salt into the teaspoon and ruined a batch of cookies...lesson learned.

This either meant that one of my eggs was "older" than the others, which would have made the boiled egg version easier to peel, or it's just Murphy's Law.
The other two went like this:




I used the "whites" anyway, with just a bit of yolk in there and you couldn't tell when it baked.

My verdict on "easy" separation of yolk from the whites? It was easy and fast and you're not holding two halves of a shell while you play Russian Roulette with your yolk, but there is still risk for a broken yolk, even without sharp objects. Again, go one at a time and not over your "whites" bowl, in case of contamination.

Let's eat cake!
Here's the photo of the finished princess cake and a link to the write-up on how-to-do-it.
~Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment