Thursday, November 7, 2013

37 Calorie Brownies

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh7umZR_4pC6G9BAh-wsK-rKWrIFDAYirjdzNWfVa-IveyfyZCwIPM4awTxbxcJ3NrVGNx7YJGJDpS_nFv0I0SaGuXLUemFX_l8VmRBZ37YQ8yJ7HofLbEV_vfCHCkNBR4uoWMHddF613kP/s1600/37-Calorie+Brownies.jpg
Generally, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :)
Any time that somebody tells you there is a healthy tasty version of something that is otherwise an unhealthy treat, you're tempted to try it! I want to have my cake and eat it too. In this case, a very tasty chocolate brownie!

So, when a recipe comes across facebook, I immediately copy and paste into Microsoft Word, knowing that the "share it to your wall" option will not truly save all these posts. (due to experience, the original post is often removed within a day or two of the time I see it)

I then Google the recipe to find the original blog and directions to see how they compare to the facebook version.
This recipe was fascinating. I entered all the ingredients into myfitnesspal.com to see what changing the 1/2 cup Truvia to 1/2 cup real cane sugar would do. My recipe turned these into 97 calorie brownies. Still, that seemed reasonable!

After reading through the comments on the blog, a wise observer pointed out that the original recipe never called for applesauce. (the facebook version asks for 1/3 cup)
The post mentioned that the ingredients would make 45 cal brownies but if you account for not fully scraping all sides of the bowl, the amount left in a container or measuring cup etc, then it would be 37 cal/brownie.
Here's the link to the blog, posted in April 2013. Bromabakery.com

I purchased the ingredients I lacked, then placed all of them in full view for your enjoyment.
The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of Truvia or other sugar-like (non liquid) substance.
First, I don't like the flavor of artificial sweeteners, second, they are expensive and I only needed one half cup, so I purchased a happy medium.
Zulka Morena pure cane sugar. GMO free, "all-natural", and? Still only 15 calories per teaspoon (exactly the same as every other package of gmo-contaminated non-organic white sugar product I examined while at the store). It did seem to have larger crystals than the generic white sugar in my pantry, so I was curious to see the results after baking.

As directed, I mixed all the ingredients into my food processor and greased an 8x8 pan (which I dusted with cocoa powder)
The batter was really runny compared to your standard box mix with eggs, water and vegetable oil
I baked as directed-15 minutes at 400 degrees. I let it cool (some) before cutting it up and trying it
I was pleasantly surprised that this was more dense and less cake-like than the last chocolate brownie recipe I tried.
These brownies are a little too moist when not cooled. They were difficult to cut and eat initially, but when they were completely cooled, they were better than palatable. The applesauce overwhelmed the chocolate for me, but I really like buttery, fudgy brownies.


If you want the joy of eating brownies without the high fat content of butter or vegetable oil and you don't mind a bit of applesauce flavor, this is the recipe for you!
The sugar content really doesn't seem to be an issue for me, but if you prefer your artificial sweeteners, you can cut calories. I would recommend reading the original blog post and the comments before attempting that particular recipe.

~Tammy





No comments:

Post a Comment