Tuesday, August 20, 2013

No-Bake Energy Bites Variation

I'm sorry if you've been following me and have noticed a break.

I have been cooking, baking and following some new recipes, but none of them came from Facebook, so I haven't been posting them. Perhaps I should, some were very tasty!

Back to the title. I enjoyed those bites very much and still had enough ingredients left to do another batch, but I was lacking the chocolate chips.
Let's just say I have a small problem with keeping chocolate in my house for very long without consuming it all one delicious portion at a time!

So, I decided to make these more like oatmeal-raisin bites. In order to change the flavor further and give the cookie taste to the dough, I decreased the honey and added dark molasses in about a 1:2 ratio (1 part honey, 2 parts molasses).

http://www.brerrabbit.com/
 If you like raw cookie dough and have ever made oatmeal-raisin cookies (see my previous post for the Quaker recipe-it's the best!), then you will really enjoy the flavor in this variation.

Quick overview:
1 cup dry rolled oats
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup peanut butter (you want the kind with oils for moisture)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Variation for tonight:
1 cup dry rolled oats
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup Adam's peanut butter (the kind you stir)
1/3 cup of wet sweet liquid (2 parts dark molasses, 1 part honey)
1/2 cup raisins





And best part yet? My two year old daughter asked for raisins. I gave her some, used the rest in the recipe, so when she asked for more and I gave her one of these?? She ate it and wanted another!

My four year old, on the other hand, said "No, thank you." (without trying it, of course!)

My verdict: Molasses gives it a bit of a tart flavor, you don't need the vanilla in there, but the texture is comparable to raw cookie dough of the oatmeal raisin variety. I am in tasty-treat euphoria right now!

~Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment