Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sugar-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Oh these had the promise of deliciousness!

I love, love, love cookies! Especially Oatmeal cookies. My mom let me bake long before I was allowed to cook anything for our family of seven. Quaker's Oatmeal Cookie recipe is still my go-to for crisp on the outside, gooey on the inside, delicious grains with moist raisins cookies.
(http://leanmoms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/bananacookies.jpg)

This photo circulated with the tempting words, "Sugar-Free Oatmeal Cookies".



As my youngest sister was getting married in the spring and I had been attempting to lose weight, the thought of a "healthy" cookie was more than I could resist.

The ingredients seemed simple enough-mashed bananas, almond milk, oats, raisins, applesauce, vanilla and cinnamon. I mixed and followed the recipe. It seemed to be very very wet, but the photo showed golden crispy "cookies", and I believed it.


Shame on me. You should never believe anything you read or see pictured on the internet. 
Except for this blog.
I would never lie to you.
You can definitely believe me.
 

These are NOT cookies. I saw a comment under this recipe on one of several recipe sites I visited that made me laugh out loud.
      "someone dear to me tried this recipe (substituted milk for almond milk) but said turned out really rubbery discs.... is there something we need to do differently? flavor was ok but really rubbery texture. tysm for your help!"

I think they summed it up pretty well. If I were trying to make banana bread lumps and didn't want to use flour, then this recipe might be an acceptable substitute. 
Yes, I described these as lumps. They have a terrible color when cooked, too. They have an unappetizing bluish-gray tint normally reserved for the morgue. Not a hint of life or golden glow as the photo would lead you to believe.
(I may re-name these zombie cookies.)

For those of us expecting anything remotely cookie-like or crisp, we must avoid this recipe at all costs!

The flavor wasn't terrible, but the texture was something I could not ever recommend.
~Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment