Friday, November 15, 2013

Non-toxic Cookie Dough Balls

The world warns us of the dangers of raw cookie dough. Specifically raw eggs.
As adults, many of us ignore these warnings for the sheer delight of the sensation of butter, flour and sugar in their cold mixture rubbing against our teeth and heating with the warmth of our mouths. Especially if there are also chocolate chips.
Still, salmonella is a real problem, so how can one make cookie dough balls and keep them together without risk?

I'm in the mood for quick and easy recipes this week, so this is another non-Facebook recipe. Two steps and you've got a great appetizer (that does serve best if cold) that costs you a couple dollars but will elicit pleasure in the mouths of many!

When somebody moans in delight after biting something I made, that reward is unlike anything else. It's as rewarding as being a comedian and causing somebody to laugh with your words!

A popular pizza chain sells chocolate chip cookie dough. They state directly on their label, "Keep refrigerated. Bake before consuming."
However, they fully expect disobedience. If you read their ingredient list, they use eggs and egg whites, both followed with the words "dried, pasteurized".
That's right. Dried, pasteurized, non-toxic egg products in this marvelous chocolate chip cookie dough!

I purchased a tub of said pre-made dough, along with a bag of chocolate chips, then went home.

First, roll your dough into bite-sized balls. If you refrain from snacking, you can yield about 30 from the tub of dough. I was not so strong and only yielded 28 this time.

Then, place them in the freezer. This allows them to retain their shape when you apply the melted chocolate, the chocolate also hardens faster, and you run less risk of melting the butter in the dough.

When they are nice and cold, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips for 60 seconds in the microwave in a glass container, stir and coat. Then, return to the freezer for cooling and quick setting.

My 1/2 cup covered 8-12 balls of dough. I used my remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips, then was stuck with three uncovered balls of dough and some sparsely-coated chocolate balls.

I took some "Almond Bark" (also known as vanilla candy melt, also identified as "white" chocolate) and melted according to the package, stirred and coated the remaining balls.
When you try to coat a chocolate ball with the white chocolate, even though I had frozen them in between coats, the white chocolate will swirl and melt and mix with the semi-sweet chocolate.Embrace the combination, or know in advance never to double-dip.

The Non-toxic Cookie Dough Balls were an immediate hit at the party. Even better was the next morning when I took some to the teachers at my daughters' school. I heard the rewarding moan of taste satisfaction! You can too. The dough was $3 and if you had a full bag of semi-sweet chips ($2 or less), you would be "covered" for sure. I only had a half-bag left after I'd made my Easy Almond Roca.

Thanks for reading, hope this makes your appetizer obligation a bit less stressful as you enter the party season. I will be trying to post some less-decadent options in the weeks to come that still taste amazing.
P.S. My frozen delights always bead with condensation when they are in a room-temperature setting. This does not harm the flavor, but I would recommend keeping them at least in the refrigerator until serving time. I keep mine in the freezer as I enjoy the crisp coating of the chocolate paired with the extra-cold dough.

~Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment